I was wondering when someone would catch on to the fact that the state is not only celebrating King, but also Lee and Jackson. Kudos to you.:thankU:
[IMG]http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l53/blpjr77/culpeper1.jpg[/IMG]
I was wondering when someone would catch on to the fact that the state is not only celebrating King, but also Lee and Jackson. Kudos to you.:thankU:
You're a few days behind - Lee Jackson Day was observed Friday the 15th.
It's now the Friday before MLK Day.
You'll shoot your eye out.
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v635/elp6n/santa.jpg[/img]
Lee-Jackson day was Friday
Lee-Jackson Day is the original observance and shall be observed today.
[COLOR="Lime"][SIZE="6"][FONT="Century Gothic"]CREAG AN TUIRC[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]
[img]http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a183/mm38nut/thkfc.gif[/img]
um, no
Lee Day was originally Jan. 19th, his birthday, not today. Jackson was not added until 1904.
It was originally observed in VA, the only state that has Lee-Jackson Day, as Lee-Jackson-King Day after the 1983 declaration by Reagan.
VA had celebrated MLK Day on Jan. 1, but after Reagan made MLK Day a national holiday, VA added him onto the Lee-Jackson Day, making it Lee-Jackson-King Day.
In 2000, Gov. Gilmore asked the legislation to seperate the holiday, making Lee-Jackson Day on a Friday, and Martin Luther King Day the following Monday.
So no, Lee-Jackson Day was observed Friday, and Martin Luther King is remembered today.
You can obsereve it whenever, but the state of VA observed it Friday, and the US observes Martin Luther King Day today, Monday.
Beginning in 84 wasnt Lee-Jackson-King Day observed on the 3rd Monday of January?
"Call me crazy, but I want to buy the Dallas Cowboys end zone and have the star right at the foot of my bed. That way when I score, I can spike the ball right on the star!" -Woody Paige, Around the Horn 10.9.08
yes, from what I gather, but the original observence was January 19th from all the info I could find, there isnt a lot of info out there about it.
I support the holiday, Lee was a great Virginian, so was Jackson. I have no problems with the holiday, Im not saying that at all.
He's not the saint you hold him up to be.
Not much to celebrate.
Bookmarks